Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tough Luck

This morning I rotated the laundry, dumping a big, warm load of towels on the couch. As I did, I had the urge to burrow underneath.

And stay there.

Today is a fleecy jammies, hot chocolate, good book day. Well, it should be. I forced myself into the bower (Abby's coined term for a bath/shower), got dressed & ran 4 quick errands: deposit hubby's paycheck, drop letters at post office, return 2 library books, put a couple of sheckels in the gas tank.

I thought myself pretty lucky when the motorcycle police officer pulled over the car right in front of me. My luck only lasted about a half a mile to the gas station, where I ran out of gas. Before I got in the driveway. I tried and tried, and despite the moral support of the honking behind me, I just couldn't will the car to re-start and make it to the pump. Luckily, a guy filling his car was watching and ran to my aid when I flagged him over, and another one came to help, too. Lucky, because we were pushing the blasted thing uphill.

Ya' know in movies when an apparition or ghost appears, then as it leaves it gets all misty and dissipates into the air? Well, I envision my luck to have done that same sort of thing. Those two, wonderful, helpful, thoughtful good Samaritans (Lord bless them!) got me pushed up to the gas pump and I grabbed my purse. No debit card. I emptied the umbrella, sunglasses, planner, receipts and all of the miscellaneous cards that Cora recently 'reorganized' and that are currently wandering willy-nilly in the expanses of my bag. Still no debit card.

Before the last smoky wisp of luck blew away, I scraped together a dollar bill and eight quarters, put a single gallon of gas in my tank and went directly home. I think that I'll stay right here, because I've used up all my luck for the day. Now where's that load of towels?

(Author's note: I put no merit at all in luck, and am counting my blessings for the many little parts of my morning that could have been way, way worse!)

3 comments:

  1. I send you my empathy and some extra luck that I found lying around. :) I love how you write this though- such a perfect way to describe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing with you, really I am. There is no luck; there's just life. And the beauty of it is, we're learning all along the way (and hopefully laughing most of that way, but even when we're crying, we're still learning).

    I hope tomorrow goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your day and week gets better!
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete