Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Responsibility Tax

So we all know that the economy's been a bit thin...


Well, not that thin, but certainly less than robust.

When the going was good, I really wanted a house. Heck, I STILL really want a house. But even though we could've qualified, it would've been a really stupid thing to do, given our in-flow, out-flow, escrow, and all the extra things you don't know to prepare for before you own a house. So we didn't. When the housing bubble burst, the economy tanked and my husband lost his job, I was very, very grateful that we did not own a house. We would have been one of the sad statistics.

I could work outside the home. I've got a degree that would allow me that. And if I worked hard at it, I could be making some pretty decent dough! But we decided that the best thing for our children would be to take the financial hit and have me stay home to teach, raise, nurture and nourish them. I can work later. Now is the time for molding miniature superheroes.

We all know that using your credit cards when you don't have the money to pay the bill isn't a wise thing. If used correctly they can do good things, and if used in an emergency they can help keep us afloat for a short time. We've made some poor decisions, but have stopped using them and are getting close to having them paid off.

We've tried to be responsible.

And here's what I've learned: Responsibility Sucks.

The Goverment (taxpayers) gave the greedy banks and lenders kajillions of dollars.
Our commander-in-chief wants to pay working moms for childcare costs. (I clearly just sit on my tush eating bon-bons all day.)
I hear radio commercials for up to 50% relief for people who have over $10,000 in credit card debt.

So for being prudent, responsible and frugal my reward is to struggle alone? That stinks.

And I'm pouting.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, honey, you're preachin' to the choir. Don't even get me started about how much the idiocy of all these so-called stimulus packages p!$$e$ me off. And if the government has their way, we'll be indoctrinating a whole new entitled generation that expects to have their bills paid for them. Because that's the role of government, right? Grrrrrr.

    Sorry. I think I must need a time out, a few minutes in the corner to help me lay off the vitriol. I can play well with others, it's just that sometimes I don't want to... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ChickleChica--breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo true.

    And rather sickening to watch how the "solutions" are enabling people to continue with the irresponsibility.

    What's the news? $920 million in new taxes for our state? Cuz apparently we're so good at tightening our belts.

    Don't give up quite yet on the responsibility thing - God sees it, even if the government doesn't.

    ReplyDelete