Wednesday, March 17, 2010

To Lee

Dear Lee,

You turned 4 today.

And it was a big deal. When you woke up this morning, you stated that you felt bigger. Then you very politely asked me to "move out the way" so you could go downstairs to eat "bressfist." The only thing on your mind was your birthday cereal, the choco-peanut-buttery crunchy goodness that you chose yesterday.

You were stunned and awed with the balloons and crepe paper streamers in the dining room...just the reaction that I hoped for.

Dad made you a green smoothie topped with green sprinkles, then added your name in green icing. It was really, really cool, but due to the cereal plus the eggs & hash browns that Dad also made for you, you didn't drink it. Eventually Cora did, and she enjoyed every last drop.

At preschool you had St. Patrick's Day treats and your teacher made you a crown, which you wore proudly!

When the mail came, there were three cards for you. Watching you open them was so much fun. Each tear of the envelope ignited the air with excitement. One had a chimp holding a gift, so you said, "And I get to open a present!" Very funny. Grandma & Grandpa P and B each sent a crisp 5-dollar bill, which was thrilling. You have no idea what exactly it means, but you do know that it's pretty cool.

Just because it's your birthday doesn't mean that you were immune from punishment. You still had some wall time when you punched Alex as hard as you could right in the eye. Even though he said something rudely, you may not punch.



After you blew out the candles, you loved the cars from your siblings, the SpiderMan "fishing pool" from Nick & Grammie and the SpiderMan shoes from Dad and me. (Every time we passed a body of water last weekend, you asked, "Mom, is that where fish are?") When you put your jammies on, you pointed out that they're SpiderMan just like your "fishing pool" and your coat and your shoes. You're so smart!

Your day ended with a 'just for Lee' story. I can still feel your warm ear against my jaw and your arm curled snugly around my neck. On every page you had something to say, explain, ask or point out. Sometimes it was just something silly that you noticed.


Lee, you drive me bonkers. You laugh at discipline, run when you're in trouble, knock your sister down, chase your older siblings, bite chunks out of my produce, scream and cry if I leave without you blowing me kisses, have more energy than will fit into your little body and keep me running (and hollering) all day.

And you mean more to me than life itself. You make my world turn in crazy, kaddywompus ways. Thanks for the ride. It's been a great 4 years. I look forward to another 104 with you.


I love you, ya' crazy monkey!

Mom

4 comments:

  1. Aww! Happy Birthday little guy! (Mine turns 4 in a few weeks, we need a playdate!)

    He sounds like he was perfectly made for you - he's probably the one your family legends will be told about, right?

    I love that shot of you reading to him - those precious moments can be hard to come by with busy growing boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the birthday boy (and the mom who's gotten him this far)! It goes too, too fast. Before we know it, we'll be sitting front and center at their missionary farewells... (I've got a crazy monkey turning 7 next week and am preparing myself for the impending reality that one more year is all I've got with my "little" boy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw geez. how cute, dyann! my favorite: "you may not punch." it was lovely seeing you all on friday..just like old times and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and of course the sweet picture of you reading to him.

    ReplyDelete