Thursday, January 21, 2010

Heavenly Insights

Today I was making lunch for a munchkin. An emaciated, near-death, starving Ethiopian munchkin. Maybe not, but from the whines and complaints, it sure sounded like it! After all it had been a whole 3 hours since his last sustenance.

As I was grating cheddar for a quick turkey/cheddar quesadilla, I said calmly, "Sweetheart, I am aware of your needs and am working on it right now."

A few moments passed and my husband noted, "I see a parallel there." I did, too. Even as I spoke the words I noticed and felt the parallel.

How often do I complain to my Maker that I'm at the end of my rope? It seems that I can't last another millisecond without the financial stability/house with a yard/etc that I've been asking and working for.

S. Michael Wilcox gave a really great talk entitled Fourth Watch. The basic gyst is that when Jesus Christ's disciples were being lambasted by the storm in the sea, Jesus was on the mountain praying, but didn't come to them until the fourth watch--or some time between 3am-6am. He knew what was going on. He knew their fears, He saw their struggles and decided to let them grow and learn before He walked across the water to them. But He came.

And now I see a little more clearly that He's up there responding patiently and lovingly, "I am aware of your needs and am working on it right now. Just let me finish cutting your quesadilla."

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh... patience. That was my devotional this morning too. Sucks trying to avoid what God is telling ya. (Lord, help me not to eat Cheetos while I wait for your quesadilla - Your way is better)

    ReplyDelete