Friday, January 8, 2010

Aging awakening

Often when we arrive at the bus stop in the morning I take a moment to zip zippers, put up hoods and make sure that everyone is protected from the elements. It is January, after all. Just yesterday as Lee was running out the door to "go scootering," I intervened to remind him to wear a coat. He resisted strongly, insisting, "But if I wear it, I can't go speedy!!" After that I pulled Alex inside because he wasn't wearing one at all!

I remember wearing shorts on chilly, drizzly days in high school; begging to skip a coat on Halloween because it would cover my costume (blasted late-October nights); and going without a toque (hat) out in the snow because it would mess up my hair.

And that makes me wonder...when did I get old?
Now before I go to the bus stop I put on my scarf, ball cap, heavy coat and gloves. My only concern regarding my looks is yesterday's mascara.

I can't properly pinpoint when I shifted from "nonchalant and cute, but cold" to "who cares what I look like? I'm warm." And I'm not exactly sure what I feel about that.

2 comments:

  1. i'm with you. i'd rather be warm and snuggly, than fashionable or cute. or if i want to skip the hat because i want my hair to look cute, i double up on the long johns and socks and sweaters and coats. oh and add a scarf. then i'm cute AND warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and my kids are the same way. at least max is. he doesn't like wearing a coat because it gets in the way of biking or buckling him into his seat. oh well. he'll survive i guess.

    ReplyDelete