Thursday, August 1, 2013

Making Fun

I've discovered that being happy is not something that just happens.  Happiness is a decision.  It's something that we need to do.  So I've decided that one of the things that I'm going to do to foster said happiness is to put down the broom/laundry/phone/keyboard and spend time with my children doing fun things.

Lately my sweet, tender Alex has been requesting more time from me.
"Mom, will you watch Despicable Me with us?"
"Mom, can we go to the park and you can help me fly my kites?"
"Mom, will you play a game with us?"

Confession time:  I'm not a play mom.  I'm a business mom.  I'm a get-it-done-then-you-can-play-while-I-keep-working-on-my-own-stuff mom.  And I am definitely not a park mom.  After about 20 minutes of pushing on swings and "Watch Me"ing down the slide, I'm done.

I'm a boring mom.

And that's no fun.  Because when Fun walks in the door, often it brings along its good friend, Happy Memories.  (As long as it's Good Clean Fun, not one of its less savory cousins.)  So I've decided that it's good to make fun times, even if I don't feel like it.  Well, especially when I don't feel like it.

We love blueberry picking, and I'm grateful that the owners don't mind the berries Wes-sitting.
 
Not sure what's bluer--the berries or Cora's half-moon smiling eyes!

This kid picked 6.8 lbs in 20 minutes!!!  We call these 'big fat juicies.'

Seriously.  20 minutes.  I love this place.

!?!?!

Yesterday we walked to an elementary school nearby just to play on the toys, and the kids really enjoyed this.

(Please note that in order for me to take this photo, I had to be ON the merry-go-round.  If only I could see Lee's face.  Breaking out of my Boring just long enough to play and NOT barf.)


I heart staticy slide hair.  And I heart these boys.

This kid jumps all. the.time.

Riah says that when he looks deep into her eyes he just wants to drink them up.
Weird, but I totally get it.

The older two & I played on the map.  I haven't done that in years, but I had fun and found out that I need to brush up on my U.S. geography.  I won't admit how many state names my children and I completely forgot.

Sometimes Abby really steps into taking care of Weston.  She adores him.  She put him on the swing without being asked, and kept him safe.  (Sorry about the formatting.  I know what I did wrong, but don't want to take the time to fix it.)



She took him on the spider web thingy.



Even though he's not smiling here, he really enjoyed it.  If he ended up on the ground, he reached up, wanting back on.



That is a happy boy.

I dug these out of the toy rotation box and the kids have been sleeping in them for the last 4 nights.  There's a tent, teepee and two tubes.  They clutter up the living room, but they sure like the novelty!

Plus they make a nice place to play chess...until Weston finds the door.
And I hope you're sitting down...


...because I actually played Fort Twister.

Lee and Cora haven't figured out the fun of twisting around your neighbor.
That's probably a good thing.

Wes wanted to play, too!

Alex likes to challenge himself, finding the least convenient place for his hands and feet...

...and this is what inevitably happens.
And I am currently sitting here grateful for photos because the good, fun times can be captured and hopefully the crankies forgotten.  Off to tidy a bit while the kids finish Despicable Me so we can go try to fly the kites at the park when it's done.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment