Saturday, July 20, 2013

Orange Rhino Day 2

So I realized that yesterday's post was a little misleading.  It was actually for the day prior, but it kinda' got all mashed up into that day.  Oh well.  The point is that I'm trying to improve.

So yesterday I didn't yell, except for one little "HEY!" when the kids weren't listening to me.  And that sort of doesn't count because right after that my words were much calmer & quieter.  Still firm, but not angry.

I think yesterday was a good day because it was a productive day.  In the morning we made signs and around noon we set up a water stand on the corner.  The kids have asked a couple of times if they can sell lemonade too, but I don't want to have to buy the cups and keep mixing pitchers of lemonade.  Instead, we've got a couple of coolers of water bottles & ice.


The cutest thing of it all is Cora calling to people as they pass, "Do you want some waddewh?"  Quite the PR rep!  And Lee had the idea to make signs to go ON the stop signs poles that use the existing word 'STOP' in the sentence so it reads, "STOP...anb buy some wadr."  Such a great idea!  I see a possible future in advertising.  They're also learning about business, because at the end of the day yesterday Alex counted almost $45, but then they had to repay the petty change loan that came from their piggy banks, PLUS they reimbursed me 50% for supplies.  So at the end of the day, they had $21.04.  He was a little disappointed, but he chippered up when I told him that everything they make today is profit.  And in the almost 1.5 hours they've been out, they've made over $25!  (Abby's involved too, but she's mostly a behind-the-scenes girl.  She made her own freestanding table signs that identify the different products and prices ($1 large, $.50 small).  She went out this morning only after I told her that if she's not involved today, she doesn't get any of today's profit.  Yeah, she's out there now.)

In the morning I calculated how much they might earn if they sell everything, but I didn't take into consideration the generosity of strangers.  I forgot about people giving tips to cute children to support their entrepreneurial spirit.  A mid-20s guy said he'd take three, but only actually took one bottle.  A guy handed them 5 bucks for nothing.  I had the kids give one to the mailman, but he gave them all the change
in his pockets, which was over $4!  We told the police officer that came by that his was free, so he gave them a $1 tip.  One lady even tried to call the radio station!

So anyway, yesterday was a good day in large measure because they had something to do besides the normal bored everyday life...which happens to include chores.  But also because I'm feeling better.  Not really less 'meh,' but less...mean.

But I'm still praying, and I'm taking deep breaths.  I'll take every day as it comes, and try to find things to occupy the kids.  We'll see how it goes when we all need to go to the store later, and--ugh--trying to get everyone ready for church tomorrow morning.  I might need to use a bit of duct tape for my mouth.  ;-)

And in the meantime, they're outside NOT being bored, earning a buck, and taking advantage of the traffic from two yard sales on either side of the street.  It's shaping up to be another good day.

1 comment:

  1. CUTIES all of you!! I think you are SUPER Dyann and I hope you can hear me cheering from here: GO GO GO!! You will be my inspiration! XOXO

    ReplyDelete