Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend in San Juan--Part I: The Dark Side

Last weekend was great.

I packed up the kids and left Friday to visit Riah on the island where he's been working. We rode the ferry, roasted hot dogs and marshmallows, clambered on rocks, explored tide pools, made waffles, saw beautiful scenery and surprising wildlife. I spent two days holding my hubby's hand and wrapping myself in his arms whenever I saw an opportunity. I always feel warm and secure in his embrace. Like so many good things, it went by way too fast and had to end before any of us were ready.

This isn't the first time that Riah's worked in a location too distant to warrant a daily commute. Last winter he commuted 2+ hours on Friday nights, then left again Sunday night for quite a few weeks. It's not fun, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the better good. (By 'better good' I mean paying the bills.) I tell people that it's not easy, but it's not forever.

So yesterday he decided to ride the ferry back to the mainland with us, then be a walk-on passenger back to the island. It sounded like a good idea because he'd get a kick out of watching the kids on the ferry, plus we'd get an extra hour with him. The part I wasn't expecting was the 'good-bye.'

Lee was really upset (understatement of the year), which triggered the tears that I'd been working so hard to keep oppressed. Mine rolled down my cheeks while I held my sobbing, heartbroken 4-year-old, two sets of eyes fixed on Riah walking down the sidewalk onto the ferry. The screaming and wailing lasted until Lee fell asleep, and this morning he was as chipper as usual. I, however, haven't quite recovered.

Today as I drove around town I felt like I was in a daze. The pink popcorn blossoms, beds of tulips bursting into bloom with daffodils and bluebells, the shetland ponies in the pasture...it's all blah. Even the water in the bay doesn't look nearly as beautiful and shimmery as usual. The wonderful city in which I live lacks today something it had when I left Friday. I drove automatically, wondering what the difference was and I realized what was missing.

I left my heart on San Juan Island. It walked down the sidewalk and boarded the 8:10 ferry from Anacortes.

(I promise to regale you with happier tales of our weekend adventures. For now, however, I just need to have a good cry.)

1 comment:

  1. Dyann- How sad! I don't know how you do it..
    I can't sleep if Aaron is not by my side..If you need anything please let us know. I'm glad you were able to go spend the weekend with your man..
    Your Wonder woman!

    ReplyDelete