Saturday, September 28, 2013

Angels or Abduction: you decide

This evening I was out by myself, attending the Church's semi-annual worldwide women's conference.  It was lovely and wonderful.

When I got home, however, the real lovely and wonderful started:  Cora called from the open upstairs window that she folded her laundry.  That right there, ladies and gentlemen, is a feat.  Like the-world-just-paused-a-little-turning-on-its-axis feat.  Lee was rinsing the dishes.

Of course, that did my Mama heart good, but it got better!  Riah told me that Alex and Cora sat there folding laundry (Alex finished his 2 days ago, so I have to presume that he helped with hers), having a deep, detailed discussion about Idon'tknowwhat.  I wish I did.

Then.  THEN I walked into the kitchen up next to Lee at the sink.  Abby, Miss LeeIsTheThornInMySide Abby was just behind him to the left, and said, "Look in the mirror--I mean the window reflection."  He did, and she proceeded to make a goofy face.  He glanced back at her, and she instantly morphed back to normal.  When he looked at the window again, she did it again--only more silly!  Again, he turned to her and the crazy face disappeared.  At this point I just had to laugh, spoiling the fun.  But Abby--ABBY--was playing--PLAYING--with LEE!!!!!  I made sure to point it out, and praise her up one side and down the other for that little tidbit of goodness!  I swear, the heavens opened for that 30 seconds.

One more:  Cora does everything to avoid housework, but after she excitedly told me about her laundry, she got the vacuum, "plugged it," and vacuumed her assigned parts herself.  While she was vacuuming, Alex was telling me that "Dad said if we got all our stuff done we could watch a movie."  And over the din of the Dirt Devil came Cora's cutie pie voice: "But not until I finish vacuuming!  And then I have to bathe."  Sure enough, after she dumped the vacuum--literally, it's still on the floor--she ran the bath, got in long enough to get wet, jammied herself and headed downstairs in record time.

I had a little chatty-chat with Riah about the miracle that is our home this evening, and we discovered a few factors.  Mostly it was a little of this, a little of that, and just a pinch of something else.  It had to do with expectations, parental play, then parental cooperation, praise, a group reward, and frankly, a large dose of angelic intervention.

Whatever it was, I'd like to bottle it.


2 comments: